Hunger Action Month

Thursday, September 25, 2008

A surprising turn...

Before the challenge started, I weighed myself. I figured that during this week I would either gain a lot of weight or lose a small amount. When I woke up this morning, I weighed myself again. I have lost about 5 lbs since this challenge began. This does surprise me a little considering a lot of the meals are carbs (pasta, granola bars, etc). Much of my weight loss may be a result of the diminishment of my snacking at night. It's Day 4 and it hasn't been any easier. As I told a colleague this morning, I have been going to bed earlier than usual so I can silence the growling sounds in my stomach.

Yesterday while contemplating more about what I am doing, two points came to mind. What I would do as a parent on food stamps and how the lack of food may cause me to turn to unethical practices.

If I were a parent who had multiple children, would I sacrifice my meals so that my children could eat? Parents have to face tough decisions every day for the health and well-being of their children and some have to go to drastic measures. This was an extremely powerful thought that shook my emotions yesterday.

If I were a child living off food stamps, I kept thinking whether I would steal to stop my hunger pangs or to get more food for a younger sibling. People turn to unethical practices, but sometimes it's out of survival. Could you blame them for being that hungry?

I am hoping everyone taking this challenge has been thinking deeper about the root of the food stamp situation as I have in the past week.

No comments: