Hunger Action Month

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Leftovers

Meal two on Day Four has made me really aware of how little variety I planned into my diet...or weight gain program since far too many of my calories have been from the carbohydrate or fat family of foods. I could bore you with the details of oatmeal, tuna casseroles and salmon loaf, but I've already reported on those scrumptious meals.

What I really want to share with you is an observation: the Food Stamp program is changing its name to SNAP--Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. If I had been a member of a "test or pilot group" I would have failed the nutrition rating part. The sad fact is that unless funding gets increased at some point in the future...anyone who must use food stamps as their main source of food will not have a nutritious diet.

And we wonder about obesity, type 2 diabetes and other health issues. We can't blame the fast food restaurants for the growth in the percentage of people suffering from food related issues when our federal food assistance programs are as much the culprit as anything.

Dennis

No comments: