Hunger Action Month

Monday, September 22, 2008

The Sound of a Growling Stomach...

I woke up this morning and realized the challenge had begun. All my thoughts have turned to constantly thinking about food. Even before I took a bite of food, the thought of how I would make it to lunch crept up on me. How is that even possible? There are some mornings when I will forgo eating well into mid-afternoon and it would not even phase me.

Tonight while riding the train home, my stomach was growling and I kept tring to read a book to take the focus off of the sound. The sound prevailed. When I got home, I spoke with my girlfriend about what happened during the work day, but the entire time I pondered what I would be eating for dinner and how I could stretch a box of frozen chicken tenders into possibly three dinners this week. Nothing else mattered more during this time.

In almost finishing up my first day, the subject of how this directly affects the education of students keeps circling my mind. Around 2:00 p.m., I could barely focus on what I needed to do. I had to start-stop-start-read what I had written-start again for over an hour because my concentration level hit a plateau. How do students who live this challenge as a reality do this everyday? Without having a nutritious breakfast or ample amounts of food in general, their educational progress will falter.

Perhaps others doing this challenge have encountered the same problems. I can only hope that this week will get easier. I can only hope that by the end of this week all of us will learn a lesson we will use and never take for granted.

No comments: