Hunger Action Month

Thursday, September 25, 2008

A new low

I am a banana snob - I only like bananas that on the "green" side of yellow and have spent years turning up my nose at sub-standard bananas. Today, however, I came face-to-face with a yellow banana riddled with brown spots. The banana had been purchased two days before from a discount grocery store - and looking at the spots I understood why. But I was really, really hungry. Furthermore, I had an event after work and knew it would be hours until dinner. So, I did it. I ate that banana. It was so nasty - but so necessary. I followed it with 3 glasses of water - and felt full for the first time in 3 days. But the feeling was fleeting. It's 9:00 pm - dinner is done, dishes are washed, kids are in bed. And I am hungry again.

Kate

No comments: